Analog6

Odille's blog on photography, the red hatters, low carb dieting, and absolutely anything else that comes to mind!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Terranora, northern NSW, Australia

I am a photographer with varied interests and subjects including all non People images incl landscapes, steam trains, historic buildings/structures, wildlife & domestic animals, sport incl surfing. I live on the beautiful Tweed/Gold Coast and can take photos on demand of the many stunning and unique locations here. I enjoy storm-chasing and landscape work primarily though. MY work is available for sale from www.photograhybyodille.com and I also have a Zenfolio gallery at http://odille.zenfolio.com

Saturday, September 23, 2006

My Weight Loss Journey

I have been doing Atkins since 10 September 2005. I have lost 29.6 kgs and am aiming for 62-64 lgs.I put on all my weight after an accident and, after 2 years, operations to both Achilles tendons. My favoured exercise of walking (5-8 kms daily) was denied me due to the injury and after the operation, due to my weight gain, it was just as hard and painful as before! So I just got fatter and fatter.At 131 kgs, and in constant pain from ankles, knees and back, I finally decided to act. I had picked up the Atkins book and had a read, thought (idly) I could do that, and then just sat on it - the information and my fatt bum!Then, after 15 months on the dole, I got a job! I started Atkins the same day and have never looked back. I no longer have pain, my blood pressure has gone from sky high (3 eye bleeds during coughing episodes when I had the flu last May) to 110/76, I have so much energy I can harldy stand still, and I will never ever go back to eating lots of carbs.
My car accident (24/03/06) slowed me up as I cannot get to the gym (no car, I wrote that bugger off!). I was driving to work one morning and it was raining lightly. I have to go round a sharp hairpin bend, and I was only doing 45kms, and it got into a spin, did a 360 and ran off the road, became airborne, and landed 12' down in the ditch. I just sat there and said holy s**t! Al the front right hand side of the car basically collapsed in on me, but I was not trapped. However, I could not even FIND the seatbelt release to get out, and as I had dislocated my thumb it was hard to do anything. No one saw me go over, and the car was invisible from the road. So I rang trusty 000 (Australia's emeregncy number) and they had the troops there in 10 mins.They opened my door and put the seat back, and I crawled out the back door onto a stretcher (the bank was too steep and muddy for me to walk up), they hauled me up to the road, with me making a joke that it was good thing I was not still 131 kgs!
I had a bad deep tissue bruising injury to my left leg caused by the dashboard and steering wheel coming down and bouncing off it. Workcover is paying for my physio, and the lump on my thingh, whic is 6cm long by anout 2.5 wide, is finally starting to break up. I have been walking as much as I can, but this week fully expected no loss or maybe even a small gain.
SInce then I have languished a bit and been lazy over winter but am now dedicated to getting back on track now spring is here. This week to date (23/09/2006) I have lost 2.5 kgs, so I am underway again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

You've done really well Odille!

15:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow Odille, that's quite some accident, but you were so lucky!!
And congrats with the weight loss, that's impressive!!!

02:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home